Every woman yearns for thick, luscious locks. Taking care of such impressive hair can be difficult, however. Thick hair sometimes seems like it has a mind of its own. Women so blessed must shop carefully for hair care tools that can work with their hair's natural inclinations, including flat irons. The best flat iron for thick hair delivers heat efficiently. If your current flat iron has a buildup of hair products, it's time to throw it out and start shopping for a replacement. When buying a new flat iron, keep the following in mind:
- Plate construction. The core of your flat iron's effectiveness is in the plates. Thick hair means your flat iron will need to conduct heat well in order to properly straighten. Opt for titanium or titanium-ceramic plates, as regular ceramic plates won't be up for the job. Some models feature infused tourmaline, which helps reduce static electricity and thus frizz.
- Plate dimensions. Is your hair long or short? Do you need a long, thin plate, or a wider one? Wide plates allow you to style more hair at once, while narrower flat irons let you style bangs.
- Temperature. Thick hair needs more heat than fine hair. Make sure your flat iron can get up to at least 380 degrees Fahrenheit, ideally over 400.
- Voltage. Many flat irons come with a variable voltage feature, allowing you to use the device while traveling internationally. You may still need a plug adapter.
Top 9 Best Flat Irons for Thick Hair for 2020
1. HSI Professional Glider
The HSI Professional Glider has a lot going for it, which is why it is the best flat iron for thick hair. It features tourmaline crystals, helping reduce frizz. The plates heat up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, while eight micro-sensors in each plate help ensure heat is distributed evenly. It's also got dual voltage, making it a great travel option. Lastly, the swivel cord prevents you from having to contort yourself to get the angle you need on your hair.
- The HSI comes with a style guide, showing you how to achieve various looks.
- It also comes with a travel-size packet of argan oil, the new trend in keeping your hair healthy and shiny.
- The red silk drawstring case is attractive and eye-catching.
- The controls are inside the flat iron, having to open your flat iron to fiddle with the settings.
- Though the HSI has a dual voltage system, the thin case means a mandatory waiting time before it cools down enough to be packed away.
The Kipozi hair straightener has been designed with gadget lovers in mind. An LCD screen lets you know exactly what temperature your flat iron has been set to, so you can adjust it easily. And rather than feature a dual voltage system, the Kipozi's design includes a special circuit that automatically detects the voltage and adjusts current as needed.
- Extra-wide plates mean shorter styling time is required.
- Universal voltage means you can take this anywhere there's electricity.
- Shut-off time is after 90 minutes.
- Hot really does mean hot – be careful of accidentally turning the temperature up too high.
We like this one for its absolutely luxe look. The Nition comes in gold and champagne gold. The plates are similarly fancy, infused with nano silver, tourmaline, argan oil, and titanium. An easy-to-read external screen lets you know exactly what temperature it's at. And the four-inch-long plate makes this a great pick for styling long hair.
- Absolutely gorgeous design, comes in two colors.
- Package includes a heat-resistant styling glove, salon clips, and a comb along with a classy travel pouch.
- The Nition is at the pricier end of the scale.
- The twisting on/off feature means you might accidentally turn the temperature up or down while using.
4. Chi G2
This is one of the most stylish flat irons we've seen, with a killer black and red color scheme and sleek look. The mix of titanium and ceramic plates makes this flat iron ideal for hair that's thick but not too thick. And the temperature readout is color-coded, making it easy to see at a glance the current heat setting.
- Titanium plates are more durable than ceramic, extending the life of your flat iron.
- Extra long cord.
- The Chi G2 can take a while to heat up, up to a full minute as compared to 10 to 15 seconds in other models.
5. Remington S5520
The Remington's extended plates make this another good choice for women with longer hair. The floating plate design helps the iron glide over hair, reducing frizz. And it's got a kicky purple look, giving this a flirty, fun appearance. If you're styling on a budget, the Remington is your best bet.
- This model only gets up to 410 degrees Fahrenheit, and the thin plates mean more time spent styling.
6. Xtava Professional Infrared
This one is just cool! The plates are wired to put out infrared, which helps heat the hair from the inside-out, reducing the risk of damage. The Xtava's plates are quite wide and infused with tourmaline to reduce frizz. And with a reasonable price point, this is perhaps the best mid-range flat iron currently on the market.
- The settings buttons allow you to shift rapidly between heat settings, making this an ideal tool if you wear a lot of wigs or hair extensions.
- The heat-resistant hard travel case means this is a great flat iron to take on vacation, or if you style on the go.
- The wider plates mean this isn't great if you have bangs or shorter hair.
- Plates can take up to a minute and a half to reach full heat.
7. Mixcolor 2-in-1
This best flat iron for thick hair offers the best of both worlds, as it can both straighten and curl hair. It's easy to use, with a swivel on/off and temperature control switch at the bottom. The model comes with salon clips and a heat-resistant glove. The Mixcolor is another model with dual-voltage settings, and that plus its durable travel case make this an ideal choice for taking on vacation.
- Because it's a dual straightener and curler, along with its dual voltage feature and hard travel case, the Mixcolor is ideal to take on trips.
- The floating plate design keeps water and dust out. You can use whatever products you like and clean with water.
- Slender plates mean you might be in for extra styling time.
8. Infiniti Pro by Conair
This is another fun one, with textured grips helping you hold the flat iron in place. And its fun purple color keeps it from looking more like an industrial appliance than a hair care tool. The InfinitiPro features five separate heat settings, going up to 455 degrees Fahrenheit. Infused tourmaline reduces frizz.
- One and a half-inch plates and five heat settings put the InfinitiPro solidly in the median. It's a good option for pretty much anyone.
- The plates won't touch without a great deal of pressure. While this reduces heat damage, it takes a lot of hand strength to use.
9. Jinri Titanium
The sleek black design makes you feel like you're using a hair wand rather than a flat iron! Increase or decrease the temperature in 15-degree increments, from 285 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. With a bright red LCD screen, it's easy to see what temperature your Jinri is currently at. And MCH heating technology means the Jinri heats up within half a minute.
- Rounded design means you can also use it to curl hair.
- The Jinri always goes to 390 degrees when turned on, and has to be manually adjusted each time.
- It's a bit pricey, especially since it doesn't come with any extras like a travel case.