Oh, that awkward moment, when your alarm clock went off half an hour ago and you've got no more than 10 minutes left to get ready and be on time…
God save the messy bun, top knot, or «I ain't got time for this today» bun!
Whatever you wanna call it, one thing is for sure: we just can't get enough of these easy messy buns.
How to wear a messy bun?
This quick, cute, and simple hairstyle will satisfy your comfort needs for an evening workout or a barbecue weekend, meet the office dress code, and highlight your charm on a romantic date.
Messy Bun Essentials
How to do a messy bun?
Even with ten tiny minutes to spare, a couple of hairpins or a scrunchie in a purse, you can create an incredibly cool and sexy hairdo for any occasion.
However, if you don't need to do it fast, it's much better to have these supplies to achieve a nice, secure, just perfect messy bun:
- A hair tie
- Bobby pins
- Clip-in hair extensions (if necessary)
- Accessories like headbands, clippers, and bows (optional)
Do you have all the essentials?
Scroll down to our hot buns instructions.
How to - Easy Messy Bun Tutorials 2020
You might get lost among the crazy amount of do-it-yourself hair bun tutorials on Instagram, how do you do a messy bun TikTok videos, Missy Sue life hacks on easy hair buns for beginners, and YouTube messy bun videos.
So, how do you do a messy bun step by step?
Check out our super-simple tutorials for all hair types.
Also, you can watch this video tutorial.
Messy Bun for Long Thick Hair
How to do a messy bun with long thick hair so that it doesn't get undone in a couple of hours?
Although the messy bun is, beyond a doubt, a versatile solution, for a girl with thick natural hair it can be a disaster unless she follows this tutorial:
- Make a ponytail where you want your bun to sit.
- Hold your tie with one hand and scrunch your pony into a bun at the bottom of your hair.
- Loosen several hairpieces and secure a bun with bobby pins.
- Add embellishments.
Or just watch this video.
How to put up a bun with volume when your hair is super fine?
Indeed, high messy bun hairstyles can be a challenge for girls with silky thin hair.
But we've got an awesome idea on how to do a messy bun with thin hair:
- An absolute must for thin hair is to start with throwing in some texturizing spray or dry shampoo.
- Use a brush to work your hair up high onto the head.
- Wrap a hair tie around pretty tight.
- Optional: clip in some hair extensions to make your bun a fuller look.
- Twist ponytail into a bun.
- Take small hairpieces, twist, pull and pin them until you like how your top knot looks.
- Fix your pretty bun with hairspray.
P.S. This one can also be a fantastic dirty hair secret weapon for bad hair days:)
High Messy Bun Hairstyles
How to do a high messy bun?
Messy top knot bun is the TOP hairstyle for making on the go.
Especially, if you choose this tutorial among many other ways to do a messy bun. It takes just 1-2 minutes to create such hair bun on top of head A.K.A. bird nest. Moreover, all you need is one coil hair tie.
How to do a bun without bobby pins? - Very easy:
- Brush up your hair into a high pony but don't tie it.
- Twist a messy bun.
- Wrapping a coil tie around 2-3 times.
It works especially great with textured curly hair.
This tutorial will tell you how to do a loose bun, which will emphasize the beauty of black hair, blonde, or red hair, white girl hair, and Afro locks.
So, how do you do this cute messy bun?
- Leave two front sections of hair in the front and clip them to use later.
- Put the rest of your hair in a semi-loose ponytail as low as you'd like your lazy bun to sit.
- Go from ponytail to loose bun.
- Unclip the saved front sections of hair, wrap them carelessly around the bun and secure in place with a bobby pin to add extra volume and texture.
- Add embellishments.
Here is another video on how to make an easy, quick, cute and effortless loose bun.
The half-up half-down high bun is a «yummy» up-to-date version of a messy top knot, which has gained large popularity (especially paired with two-sides short bangs).
The best part is: you can quickly make it on the go:
- Separate your hair into two parts.
- Take the upper part and make a high half-ponytail.
- A - Fix a hair loop with the same tie.B - Twist the hair into a careless bun and secure it with several bobby-pins (make sure they are small enough not to be visible as you use only half of your hair).
- Add a cute accessory that matches your today's outfit.
- Enjoy your trendy hairstyle.
Two Messy Buns on Top of Head
One front bun is fun, two messy buns on top of the head are twice more fun.
Suicide Squad -inspired, Space Buns are probably the most creative of different ways to do a bun - they're uber-cute and semi-mysterious.
Here is how to get it:
- Separate your hair into two equal sections.
- Turn them into two loose ponytails.
- If necessary, use the smaller wells and clip hair extensions around the base of your ponies.
- Loosely twist each ponytail and wrap them around the base.
- Bobby pin your buns in place.
- (Optional ) To spice up your space buns try using glitter Mist on hair part for a fun look.
* You can leave several short strands in your ponytails loose, curl them and fix with a spray.
Here is a how-to video.
Messy Bun for Straight Hair
How to do a messy bun with straight hair?
It depends on what result you wanna achieve. Do you want a messy bun with sew-in weave, a textured messy Asian hair bun, or just a disconnected bedhead bun?
Here is what you can do:
- Consider leaving two loose strands near the face (optional).
- Make a ponytail where you want to have your bun.
- A - Make a sew-in weave. B - Use a curling iron along the ponytail to add some texture. C- Dishevel your straight hair with your fingers using a little bit of texturing gel.
- Twist your hair into a bun and secure with pins.
A messy bun with a bandana is a great way to spice up your daily outfit.
Here is how to play with accessories to freshen your buns:
- Optional: clip hair extensions NOT around the base of your pony.
- Pull your hair into a ponytail and scrunch your hair up into a bun starting at the bottom of your hair.
- Pull the hair tie around.
- Leave some tips out to curl.
- Wrap the bun with your favorite headband.
Remember that the attachments in your messy bun should better not be synthetic.
Here is another messy bun with a headband video tutorial.
Fake Messy Bun Hairstyles
How to make a messy hair bun with an artificial chignon, false hair, and braided bun wigs?
If you want to get a messy rose bun or a kind of wigs buns, here's what to do:
- Pull your hair back into a level ponytail.
- Grab and twist your ponytail (the tighter the twist, the more secure the bun).
- Wrap the twisted pony around the base of the ponytail and bobby pin it.
- Fix the braided bun wig around your natural bun.
Messy Bun for Medium Hair
How to do a messy bun with medium hair and how to make your shoulder length hair look fool of volume rather than sloppy?
If you wonder how to create those chic buns you saw in online pictures - from a faux hair bun to elegant and formal styles - this step-by-step guide is exactly for you:
- Gather your hair where you want the bun to be placed.
- Wrap a hair tie around your hair once.
- Wrap the hair tie over your ponytail second time to make a looped bun.
- Wrap the ends that are still sticking out around the base of your looped bun and secure them with bobby pins.
- Pull out several strands of hair on one or both sides to soften the look.
Here, you can watch another tutorial on how to make a messy top knot for medium hair.